United Illuminating Bill Payment: Everything You Need to Know
The United Illuminating Company is part of its parent company, UIL Holdings Corporation, that is now a subsidiary of Avangrid – one of the largest electric utility companies in the United States. United Illuminating is headquartered in Orange, Connecticut, and has over 335,000 residential, business, and industrial customers in the greater New Haven and Bridgeport areas. Here's how United Illuminating’s payment system works, along with everything you need to know about their electricity rates.
General Payment Information for United Illuminating Users
According to the United Illuminating Company’s CEO, James P. Torgerson, the company has a service area of 335 square miles and is on track to energize Connecticut completely. Other subsidiaries of Avangrid focus on natural gas, electric, and related services.
All UI customers are free to choose who supplies their electricity. United Illuminating is a utility service distribution company that delivers electricity and maintains power lines.
If you don’t choose another electric supplier, you will be assigned United Illuminating’s default plan. The default plan is approved and regulated by the Public Utilities Commission but may have higher rates. The default rate is considered the Price to Compare, and you can use it to compare the rates and plans offered by other electric suppliers.
Here’s a complete list of the energy service suppliers and their rates.
If you want to learn more about United Illuminating’s pricing, rates, and tariffs, you can do so here. You can learn more about choosing an electric supplier over the standard generation service here.
How to Pay Your Bill
There are six ways to pay your United Illuminating bill. You can change your payment method at any time.
- Online: You can pay your bill online using your bank account or debit/credit card. You can also make an EZ-Pay One Time Payment if you don’t have a UI account yet.
- AutoPay: You can enroll in AutoPay to simplify your bill-paying routine. Your monthly bill will automatically be deducted each month without any additional input.
- Pay by Mobile App: You can pay your bill using United Illuminating’s mobile app. You can learn more here.
- In-Person: You can pay your bill in person at UI’s Western Union walk-in locations. You can learn how to find an authorized payment location near you here. However, keep in mind that some of the payment locations may be temporarily closed due to the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).
- Pay by Mail: You can mail a check to United Illuminating; make sure you include your account number.
- Pay by Phone: You can pay your bill on the phone using the automated phone system. You can learn more here.
You can download the UI mobile app on your smartphone’s app store.
Does United Illuminating Have Payment Plan Options?
United Illuminating has several payment plan options for different customers. Here are five payment programs they currently offer.
- Budget Billing: You can opt for Budget Billing to pay the same amount each month throughout the year. It helps avoid seasonal fluctuations in bill amounts. Your average monthly bill depends on potential price changes, last year’s energy usage, and weather forecasts. You can learn more about Budget Billing here.
- Forgiveness Matching Payment Program: UI will match the payments you make to your outstanding, past-due electric bill if you qualify. You can learn more here.
- UI Matching Payment Plan: MaPP helps low-income customers maintain their electric service all year round by helping them reduce or eliminate past-due balances. You can learn more here.
- Payment Arrangements: If you’re having trouble paying your bill, you can apply for one of several payment arrangement plans offered by UI. You can call the customer service number to learn more.
- Payment Assistance: Low-income households can apply for payment assistance programs to help them pay their electric bill. You can apply for the COVID-19 Payment Program, Operation Fuel, the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP), and the Winter Protection Program. You can learn more about each program here.
It’s best to opt for eBilling before you go for Budget Billing.
How to Lower Your United Illuminating Bill
All UI customers are free to choose who supplies their energy. You can choose any energy company in your service area that’s certified by the state. You can compare their electric rates and plans with United Illuminating’s Price to Compare and make an informed decision.
Alternatively, you can use Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection to check if you’re getting the best rate against the Price to Compare.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area with United Illuminating. When your term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case. Electricity payments can be complicated, that's why a lot of people trust Arbor to manage their electricity service, so they end up saving on their energy bills.
You can also reduce your bill by taking part in energy savings programs such as UI Smart Solutions to receive rebates and incentives. You can learn more here.
United Illuminating Account Setup
To set up your United Illuminating account, you need to register on United Illuminating’s website.
Follow these steps to set up your new account.
- Go to this link to start registering your United Illuminating online account.
- Enter your full name, email address, User ID, password, and security question.
- Sync your UI account by entering your account number, registered phone number, or your ZIP code and address.
- Verify the information and accept all terms and conditions.
- You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
You can log in using your User ID here.
What to Do if There’s a Power Outage
Whenever you have a power outage, you should report it here. You will have to enter your UI account number or phone number, along with the last four digits of your SSN or Tax ID. You can also check your outage status using the same page.
United Illuminating Customer Service
United Illuminating has several customer support options.
- Use the Contact Us page to make general inquiries.
- You can check out Outage Central here if you have any outages-related queries.
- Follow United Illuminating on Facebook and Twitter to receive extra support and the latest updates.
- You can fill out an online form on the Contact page to send UI an email directly.
You should check out the FAQs before contacting a representative.
United Illuminating Phone Number and Contact Info
Here is some general contact information.
- United Illuminating’s Customer Service (for Power Outages and Bill Payment) – 1-800-722-5584
- Mailing Address – The United Illuminating Company, P.O. Box 1564, New Haven, CT 06506-0901
- Mailing Address for Payments – The United Illuminating Company, P.O. Box 847818, Boston, MA 02284-7818
It’s best to call these numbers with your registered phone number.