Spark Energy: Compare Rates and Prices Fast
Spark Energy, Inc. (NASDAQ: SPKE) is an independent retail energy services company that provides natural gas and electricity in 17 states, including California, Illinois, Maryland, New York, and Texas. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, Spark Energy is one of the biggest energy providers in the United States and provides various energy plans in every state. Here’s everything you need to know about Spark Energy, along with their rates, energy plans, and pricing.
Spark Energy Service Areas
Spark Energy serves the people of Texas and Maryland in the service area of five utility companies:
- Oncor Electric Delivery: Oncor’s delivers electricity in Dallas, Waco, and Killeen and the surrounding areas.
- CenterPoint Energy: CenterPoint provides energy services in the Houston metropolitan area.
- Texas-New Mexico Power: TNMP services several parts of the Houston, Midland, and Dallas-Fort Worth areas.
- AEP Texas Central: AEP Texas is divided into two entities – AEP Texas Central and AEP Texas North. AEP Texas Central operates in Laredo, McAllen and Corpus Christi. AEP Texas North covers northern Texas, including San Angelo and Abilene, among other cities.
- Baltimore Gas and Electric: Their service area covers Baltimore City and ten central Maryland counties.
You can find all Spark Energy electricity plans in every utility company’s service area.
Spark Energy Plans and Rates
Spark Energy offers a wide range of electricity plans.
The following are four types of energy plans all Spark Energy customers can choose from:
- Fixed-Rate Plans: Fixed-rate plans allow you to pay the same rate throughout the length of your plan. We recommend fixed-rate plans because they provide price certainty and minimize risk. But be careful: when your term expires, your rate becomes variable and can go up without notice. Arbor automatically keeps you on the best fixed-rate plan, so you don’t have to worry about rate hikes at the end of your term.
- Variable-Rate Plans: Such plans let you pay the current price of retail electricity. Therefore, you will be paying low rates when demand is low but might be overpaying for electricity when demand is high.
- Month-to-Month Plans: Such plans don’t have any long-term contract, and there are no early termination fees.
- Green Energy Plans: You can opt for renewable energy plans if you want to reduce your carbon footprint. You can buy renewable energy credits (RECs) or opt for a green energy plan.
Some plans may ask you for a deposit. However, plans available through Arbor never require a deposit.
Spark Energy Plan Information
While most plan information can be found on the energy company’s website, it’s best to get a better idea of it. In Texas, you can read the plan’s Electricity Facts Label (EFL). It contains additional information, including the following:
- The price per kilowatt-hour (kWh) depending on your energy usage
- Cancellation fees
- Early termination fees
- Percentage of renewable energy sourcing
If you already have an energy supplier, such as Reliant or TXU Energy, you can easily switch to Spark Energy without any hassle. Your monthly bill also includes electricity delivery charges from your local utility company. Delivery charges (TDU charges in Texas) include the cost of delivering electricity, maintaining infrastructure, and managing power outages.
Why Spark Energy for Texas and Maryland Electricity
Spark Energy offers various features and incentives, including the following:
- Various energy plans designed to cater to different people
- Different contract lengths ranging from 3-months to 3-years
- Spark Energy reward system
- Superior customer support with Net Promoter Score (NPS) of 55
- Green energy plans
- Convenient payment system with Bill Matrix
You can make your Spark Energy account to manage your plans online.
Find the Best Electricity Rates with Arbor
Finding a good company or REP in Maryland and Texas can be tricky. Several energy companies are offering different electricity plans and rates.
Some companies offer low energy rates, while others offer average rates with incentives and benefits, making it hard to choose any single plan. You can search and try to shop for rates yourself, but watch out for the fine print, hidden fees, and escalating rates once your term ends.
You can use Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection service to automatically find and switch to the best electricity rates in your area.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area. When your contract term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can also use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case.
Spark Energy Reviews
You can view Spark Energy’s Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating to get a better idea of the company. The company isn’t accredited and has no official rating. However, customer reviews give an average rating of 1/5.
You can find varying Spark Energy reviews online with customers being satisfied with the services but not with the customer support, and vice versa. However, last year, most customers praised Spark Energy’s custom support.
Spark Energy had also been branded REP of the year by Energy Marketing Conferences in 2015, and one of the top ten best-rated Texas electricity companies by Consumer Affairs in 2016.
Spark Energy Customer Service
There are several ways to contact Spark Energy.
- You can visit the Contact Us page for general queries.
- Send an email to Spark Energy using this email address.
- Send a direct message through the Contact Us page.
- You can learn how to file a complaint here.
- For reporting power outages, you can find the necessary information here.
It’s best to go through the FAQs before contacting a representative.
Spark Energy Phone Number and Contact Info
Here is some general contact information.
- Spark Energy Customer Care – 1-877-547-7275
- Fax Number – 1-877-374-8007
- Mailing Address – 12140 Wickchester Ln Suite #100, Houston, TX 77079
- Mailing Address for Payments – Spark Energy, PO Box 3015, Houston, TX 77253
It’s best to call these numbers with your registered phone number.