About Peoples Gas
Peoples Gas is a subsidiary of parent company Integrys Energy Group and is headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. This article explains how the Peoples Gas bill payment system works, along with how to set up and manage your Peoples Gas account.
Residential and commercial customers in Chicago, Pittsburgh, and the surrounding areas can purchase a deregulated natural gas plan from one of the several gas suppliers and distribution networks in those regions. Their selected suppliers will then work with Peoples Gas to maintain steady and efficient delivery.
General Payment Information for Peoples Gas Power Users
The current Price to Compare (default supply price) for Peoples Gas supply is currently $0.207 per therm for residential customers and $0.878 per therm for commercial/business customers. In case you choose one of the competitive electricity and natural gas utility companies in the area, you may receive special incentives and pricing, as well as high safety standards and reliable delivery. However, there is no guarantee that you will save money on the total bill for both utilities.
How to Pay Your Bill
There are four ways you can pay your Peoples Gas bill.
- Online: Once you have created a natural gas supply account with Peoples Gas, you can make online payments via a checking or savings account, directly to your Peoples Gas account.
- Pay by Phone: You can call Peoples Gas at 866-295-0086 to make payments via credit/debit card or your company account.
- In-Person: You can pay in-person at authorized payment locations.
- Mail: You can mail your payment via money order or check.
For more information on each payment method, click here.
Does Peoples Gas Have Payment Plan Options?
Peoples Gas offers several ways to pay your natural gas utility bills. These include debit card payments, credit card payments, bank drafts, in-person payments, payments via mail, and phone payments.
Furthermore, they provide two different payment options for each customer to choose from:
- Budget Billing – You will pay a constant amount every month, without any charge fluctuations. The total bills are calculated based on projected yearly costs, seasonal variation, and last year's average usage, among other factors.
- Assistance Programs – You can choose from several financial assistance programs to help pay your gas bills. These include programs such as the Weatherization and Repair Program, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), and the Illinois Patriot Program, among others.
The Peoples Gas Upkeep and Repair Program offers grants and payment arrangements to income-eligible households for fuel, natural gas appliances, and minor financial assistance. In addition, eligible low-income customers can get access to the Share the Warmth program, which provides up to a $200 grant to limited eligible households.
How to Lower Your Peoples Gas Bill
Deregulated energy plans allow customers to choose from several rates from various competitive gas suppliers to lower energy costs. Check the ‘Price to Compare’ — Peoples Gas's default rate — and compare it with licensed electricity and natural gas supplier prices.
Arbor’s TrueRate Protection is the best way to ensure that you always pay the lowest rate against your current ‘Price to Compare.’
For example, Peoples Gas's current electricity Price to Compare is $0.207 per therm. Arbor scans the electricity utility markets for the best rates, and will generally find lower rates than your current supplier’s price.
You can use the calculator to find out exactly how much you can save on energy bills with TrueRate Protection.
Peoples Gas Account Setup
To set up your online account, you need to register online on the Peoples Gas website.
Follow these steps to set up your account:
- Open the link in a safe browser and enter your email address, checking or savings account information, and profile info.
- Verify the information and submit it.
After your account has been set up, you can choose to sign up for the paperless eBill and maintain your account through the convenient mobile app.
Peoples Gas Login Account
Once your Peoples Gas account is up and running, you can sign in here.
In case you’re moving to a new residence, you can add another account to your existing profile. To do that, simply go to Settings > Edit Profile > Add Account.
You can change your account information through the My Account Profile page, on the Peoples Gas website. To access the page, click here.
What to Do if There’s a Power Outage
In case you experience a gas outage or smell natural gas, vacate the area immediately and call 866-556-6002.
You can also contact emergency services if you have medical concerns pertaining to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic or special home safety needs regarding an outage.
Peoples Gas Customer Service
Peoples Gas has several customer service options.
- Use the Contact Us page to make general inquiries.
- Call the dedicated emergency contact number (866-556-6002) for rapid emergency response.
The dedicated emergency hotline is the best way to alert the supplier in case you smell gas from a gas leak or see a damaged gas line due to construction or building maintenance. In case there is a fire, vacate the area immediately (either move to a neighboring house or walk out into the street at a safe distance) and call 911.
Peoples Gas Phone Number and Contact Info
Here is some general contact information:
- Peoples Gas Customer Service – 866-556-6001.
- Mailing Address – For Misc. Correspondence (Gas pipeline damage or disconnection, weather safety emergency information, etc): Customer Service, 200 E. Randolph St. Chicago, Illinois 60601-6302. For payments: Peoples Gas, P.O. Box 6050, Carol Stream, Illinois 60197-6050.
To avoid any confusion, use your registered number when calling any of the numbers above.