Penelec Bill Payment: Everything You Need To Know
Penelec Power is an energy utility company that serves over 600,000 thousand residential and general customers. A subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. Penelec is headquartered in Akron, Ohio (parent company headquarters), and serves several Pennsylvania cities including Erie, Altoona, Johnstown, Corry, and the Central Pennsylvania service areas, to name a few. This article explains how the Penelec bill payment system works, as well as how to set up and manage your Penelec electric utility account.
General Payment Information for PENELEC Users
The current Price to Compare (default supply price) for PENELEC utilities is currently $0.553 per kWh for residential customers and $0.501 per kWh general/business customers in the Penelec service areas. In case you choose one of the competitive electric suppliers in the area, you may receive better pricing offers, steady delivery, and high-quality service. However, there is no guarantee that you will save money on the total energy costs for electric utilities, or experience an overall decrease in your electricity rates.
How to Pay Your Bill
There are four ways you can pay your PENELEC power bill.
- Online: You can make online payments through a credit card/checking account via a Penelec online account. If you have opted into AutoPay, the payment will be automatically deducted from your bank account. You can also pay online as a guest profile.
- Pay by Phone: You can call PENELEC at 1-888-544-4877 to make payments directly through your bank account, or with a credit/debit card.
- In-Person: You can pay in-person at authorized bill payment locations and service centers in your area.
- Mail: You can mail your payment via money order or check (payable to Penelec).
For more information on each payment method, click here.
Residential and commercial customers in the Pennsylvania service areas can purchase a deregulated electric service plan from one of the several electric companies in that region. Their selected suppliers will then work with Penelec to maintain energy efficiency and prevent interruptions in energy service delivery.
Does the PENELEC Have Payment Plan Options?
Penelec offers several ways to pay your utility bills. These include debit card payments, credit card payments, bank drafts, in-person payments, payments via mail, and phone payments.
Additionally, they provide two different payment options for each customer to choose from:
- Equal Payment Plan – You can convert your variable billing into a fixed monthly payment based on your annual electricity consumption.
- Payment Assistance – You can choose from several assistance programs to help pay your bills. These include the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), Pennsylvania Customer Assistance Program (PCAP), and Low-Income Usage Reduction Program (LIURP).
Furthermore, Penelec hosts various community action programs for customers undergoing financial hardship. The Dollar Energy Fund is one such program, designed to assist individuals and families who have experienced sudden financial hardship and are unable to pay their current dues. The company also offers due date extensions to eligible customers, based on their payment history and electricity consumption.
How to Lower Your Penelec Bill
Deregulated energy plans allow customers to choose from several rates from multiple competitive energy distributors and suppliers. Check the ‘Price to Compare’ — the default rate offered by Penelec — and compare it with licensed electricity supplier prices.
Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection is the best way to ensure that you always pay the lowest rate against your current ‘Price to Compare.’
For example, Penelec's current electricity Price to Compare is 5.53 cents per kilowatt-hour. Arbor scans the electricity utility markets for the best rates, and will generally find lower rates than your current supplier’s price.
When your term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case. Electricity payments can be complicated, that's why a lot of people trust Arbor to manage their electricity service, so they end up saving on their energy bills.
Penelec Account Setup
To set up your online account, you need to register online on the Penelec - FirstEnergy Company website.
Follow these steps to set up your account:
- Open the link in a safe browser and provide your billing account number and zip code.
- Set a User ID and password for your new online account.
- Verify the information and click on 'Register'.
After your account has been set up, you can choose to sign up for the paperless eBill and AutoPay, which lets you connect a bank account to your Penelec account for automatic monthly payment deduction. You can maintain your account through the convenient Penelec mobile app.
Penelec Login Account
Once your Penelec account is up and running, you can log in here.
In case you’re moving to a new residence, you can apply to transfer your service to the new address. To do that, simply apply to move the energy supply service to a new address on the Penelec website, or by calling 1-800-545-7741.
To start, stop and/or transfer your service to a new address, click here.
What to Do if There’s a Power Outage
In case you experience a power outage or see a downed line, vacate the area immediately and call 1-1-888-544-4877. It is requested that you DO NOT attempt to repair or handle downed power lines yourself.
You can also contact emergency services if you have medical concerns pertaining to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic or special home safety needs regarding an outage.
Penelec Customer Service
Penelec Energy has several customer service options.
- Use the Contact Us page to make general inquiries via an online form.
- Call the dedicated emergency contact number (1-800-545-7741) for rapid emergency response.
The dedicated emergency hotline is the best way to alert the supplier in case you experience a power outage or see damaged electric lines.
PENELEC Phone Number and Contact Info
Here is some general contact information:
- PENELEC Energy Company – 1-800-545-7741.
Mailing Address – For bill payments:
- Address: P.O. Box 3687 Akron, Ohio 44309-3687.
To avoid any confusion, use the phone number registered with your Penelec billing account, when calling any of the numbers above.