NRG Energy: Compare Rates and Prices Fast
NRG Energy, Inc. is a Fortune 500 energy company with over three million retail customers, headquartered in Princeton, New Jersey, and Houston, Texas. One of the biggest energy suppliers in the United States, NRG Energy, has several subsidiaries, including Reliant Energy, Green Mountain Energy, and Discount Energy, among others. Here’s everything you need to know about NRG Energy, along with their rates, energy plans, and pricing.
NRG Energy Service Areas
NRG Energy serves the people of eleven states in the service area of several utility companies:
- Connecticut: Connecticut utilities include Connecticut Light & Power Co, Eversource Energy, and United Illuminating.
- Delaware: NRG Energy offers plans in the service area of Delmarva Power.
- Illinois: You can find NRG Energy plans in the service area of Ameren Illinois and ComEd (Commonwealth Edison).
- Maryland: NRG Energy plans in Maryland can be found in the service territories of Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE), Potomac Electric Power Company (PEPCO), Delmarva Power, and the Potomac Edison Company.
- New Jersey: New Jersey utility companies include Rockland Electric, Atlantic City Electric, Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L), and Public Service Electric & Gas.
- New York: New York utilities include ConEd, NYSEG, Central Hudson, Orange and Rockland, National Grid, and Rochester Gas and Electric.
- Massachusetts: Utility companies in Massachusetts include National Grid and Eversource Energy.
- Ohio: Ohio utilities include AEP Ohio, Ohio Edison, Duke Energy, Toledo Edison, Dayton Power & Light, and The Illuminating Company.
- Pennsylvania: Pennsylvanian utility companies include Penn Power, West Penn Power, Met-Ed, PECO, PPL Electric Utilities, UGI Utilities, Pike County Light & Power, Duquesne Light Company, and Penelec.
- Washington DC: Washington DC utilities include PEPCO and DC Gas & Electric.
- Texas: In Texas, NRG Energy supplies electricity through its subsidiary, Reliant Energy. They offer electricity plans in the service area of CenterPoint Energy, Oncor Electric Delivery, Texas-New Mexico Power (TNMP), AEP Texas Central (Dallas and surrounding areas), and AEP Texas North.
You can find all NRG Energy plans in every utility companies service area.
NRG Energy Plans and Rates
NRG Energy offers a wide range of electricity plans.
The following are four types of energy plans all NRG Energy customers can choose from:
- Fixed-Rate Plans: Fixed-rate plans let you pay the same rate for electricity throughout your plan term. We recommend fixed-rate plans because they provide price certainty and minimize risk. But be careful: when your term expires, your rate becomes variable and can go up without notice. Arbor automatically keeps you on the best fixed-rate plan, so you don’t have to worry about rate hikes at the end of your term.
- Variable-Rate Plans: Variable-rate plans let customers pay the current price of electricity. That means you will be paying a low rate when demand is low but might end up overpaying when demand is high.
- Renewable Energy Plans: If you want to reduce your overall carbon emissions and move away from fossil fuels, you can opt for renewable energy plans that source energy from wind and solar projects.
- Free Weekend & Free Nights Plans: You can opt for plans that offer free electricity during certain days of the week.
Some plans may ask you for a deposit. However, plans available through Arbor never require a deposit.
NRG Energy Plan Information
You can find most of the plan information on the energy company’s website; however, it’s best to read the fine print to learn more about your plan. In Texas, you can read the Electricity Facts Label (EFL) that contains additional information on each plan, including the following:
- The price per kilowatt-hour (kWh) depending on energy usage
- Cancellation fees
- Early termination fees
- Percentage of energy sourced from renewable sources, power plants, and related products
Other charges on your electricity bill include the delivery charges from your local utility company. The delivery charges consist of the cost of delivering electricity, maintaining power lines, and managing power outages.
Why NRG Energy for Your Electricity
NRG Energy offers various features and incentives, including the following:
- Tailored fixed and variable-rate plans for each U.S. state
- Free weekend, free nights, with up to 7-days of free electricity
- As an integrated power company, NRG Energy also offers various energy management tools
- Incentives on opting for things like electric vehicles, energy efficiency upgrades, and more
- Several community programs to get involved with
- NRG mobile app helps monitor usage, control your smart thermostat, and more
- Various business solutions and energy services for commercial customers
- Payment assistance in crises, such as the ongoing coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19)
- 24/7 customer support
You can make your NRG Energy account to manage your plans online.
Find the Best Electricity Rates with Arbor
Energy deregulation and retail power have changed the energy business, allowing residents to choose from various energy suppliers. Each energy company offers different electricity plans with varying rates.
Some companies offer low rates, while others offer competitive rates with incentives and benefits, making it hard to choose a plan. You can search and try to shop for rates yourself, but watch out for the fine print, hidden fees, and escalating rates once your term ends.
You can use Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection service to automatically find and switch to the best electricity rates in your area.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area. When your contract term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can also use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case.
NRG Energy Reviews
You can go through NRG Energy’s Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating to get a more accurate idea of their services. While the company isn’t BBB accredited yet, it has a B rating.
Most customer reviews and ratings range around 1/5. Most customers are unhappy with NRG Energy’s services in general, while others have issues with the benefits and incentives offered with the energy plans.
NRG Energy Customer Service
There are several customer service options with NRG Energy.
- You can visit the Contact Us page for general queries.
- Fill out the online form to send an email to NRG Energy.
- To send a custom email, you can use this email address.
- Follow NRG Energy on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to receive news and updates.
- For power outages, contact your local utility company.
It’s best to go through the FAQs before contacting a representative.
NRG Energy Phone Number and Contact Info
Here is some general contact information.
- NRG Energy Customer Care – 1-855-500-8703
- Houston Headquarters – 1-713-537-3000
- Princeton Headquarters – 1-609-524-4500
- To Sign Up – 1-855-388-5276
- Mailing Address – NRG Home P.O. Box 38781 Philadelphia, PA 19104
It’s best to call these numbers with your registered phone number.