General Payment Information for National Grid NY Users
According to the President, Badar Khan, National Grid NY provides natural gas and clean energy to over 3.5 million people in New York City, Syracuse, Brooklyn, Albany, and Buffalo, among others. The company has thousands of miles of gas pipelines, power lines, and hundreds of substations across Northeast US.
All National Grid NY customers are free to choose their energy suppliers. National Grid NY is primarily responsible for delivering energy and maintaining the network. However, if you don’t choose an energy supplier, you will receive National Grid NY’s default energy service plan.
The default plan by National Grid NY has higher rates due to several reasons. The default rate is your Price to Compare, and it acts as a baseline to compare the rates of other energy suppliers. The default rate is approved by the gov and state’s public utility commission, so you can’t challenge it. However, you can compare it with the rates and plans offered by other energy suppliers and make an informed decision.
You can find out what rate you’re currently getting by reading your bill. You can learn how to read your energy bill here.
How to Pay Your Bill
There are three ways to pay your National Grid NY bill. You can change your payment method at any time.
- Online: You can pay your bill online using your bank account or using your credit/debit card via Western Union Speedpay. Go here to make payments through Speedpay.
- Automated Payments: You can enroll in Automated Payments to avoid manually paying your bill every month. At the start of every month, your energy bill will automatically be deducted from your bank account.
- In-Person: You can pay your bill in person at one of the payment locations. You can find payment locations near you by entering your ZIP code here. However, keep in mind that some of the payment locations may be temporarily unavailable due to the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).
- Pay by Mail: You can use the envelope provided with your bill and mail payable checks to National Grid to pay your bill.
- Pay by Phone: You can pay your bill on the phone using your bank account or credit/debit card.
It’s best to make an online National Grid NY account to avoid one-time card payment fees.
Does National Grid NY Have Payment Plan Options?
National Grid NY has several payment plan options for different customers. Here are four payment programs they currently offer.
- Balanced Billing: If you want to avoid seasonal spikes in your energy bill, you can opt for Balanced Billing. You will receive the same average monthly bill throughout the years. Your bill will depend on your historical use, weather conditions, and changes in energy prices. You can learn more here.
- Energy Savings Programs: You can opt for programs such as the EmPower New York Income-Eligible Free Weatherization Program. You can receive free energy efficiency upgrades and save on your bill. You can learn more here.
- More Time to Pay: If you’re having trouble paying your bill, you can opt for a Collection Arrangement or a Payment Agreement. You can learn more about it here.
- Special Protections: You can avoid disconnection of electric or gas service if you’re facing a medical emergency, are a senior citizen, or have any form of disability. You can learn more here.
- Grant Programs: You may be eligible for several grant programs if you’re having trouble paying your bill. You can apply for the Fuel Assistance/Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), Neighborhood Heating Fund, Emergency/Temporary Assistance, and the Energy Affordability Program (EAP). You can learn more about the programs here.
You can learn more about payment programs here.
How to Lower Your National Grid NY Bill
All National Grid NY customers can choose their electric or gas supply company. You can compare National Grid NY’s Price to Compare with the rates and plans offered by other suppliers and choose the best option.
Alternatively, you can use Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection to check if you’re getting the best rate against the Price to Compare.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area with National Grid NY. When your term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case. Electricity payments can be complicated, that's why a lot of people trust Arbor to manage their electricity service, so they end up saving on their energy bills.
National Grid NY Account Setup
To set up your National Grid NY account, you need to register on National Grid NY’s website.
Follow these steps to set up your new account.
- Go to this link to start the registration process.
- Enter your full name, User ID, SSN (last four digits), email address, password, ZIP code, and a security question.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button to continue.
- You will then have to provide information about your National Grid NY account. After you’re done, your accounts will be linked, and your online profile will be ready.
You can log in using your User ID here.
What to Do if There’s a Power Outage
If you’re wondering what other areas are affected by power outages, you can check out the power outage map. If you want to report a gas emergency, you should call 911 or National Grid NY’s customer service center. You can learn more here.
National Grid NY Customer Service
National Grid NY has several customer support options.
- Use the Contact Us page to make general inquiries.
- You can email National Grid NY using this online form.
- You can follow the company on Twitter or Facebook for customer service, news, and updates.
- You can sign up to receive email, text, or phone alerts.
It’s best to check out the FAQs before contacting a representative.
National Grid NY Phone Number and Contact Info
Here is some general contact information.
- National Grid NY’s Customer Service (and for Bill Payments and Gas Emergencies) – 1-718-643-4050
- For Power Outages – 1-800-867-5222
- Mailing Address for Payments – National Grid P.O. Box 11741 Newark, NJ 07101-4741
It’s best to call these numbers with your registered phone number.