National Grid Long Island Bill Payment: Everything You Need To Know
National Grid Long Island (KeySpan Long Island) is part of the National Grid USA network in New York State that also covers Upstate NY and the New York City Metro area (Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island). National Grid also provides electric and natural gas service in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Here’s how National Grid Long Island’s payment system works, along with everything you need to know about their rates.
General Payment Information for National Grid Long Island Users
National Grid Long Island has natural gas customers across the Rockaways Peninsula and Nassau County. In total, National Grid delivers natural gas to over 3.5 million customers. They have been increasing their service area and gas capacity by taking part in projects, such as the Northeast Supply Enhancement (NESE) Project.
National Grid Long Island customers are free to choose their energy suppliers. National Grid Long Island is an energy delivery company, not a gas supply company. However, if you don’t choose an energy supplier, you will get the default gas supply plan from National Grid Long Island.
The default plan is approved and regulated by the gov and Public Utilities Commission. The default gas supply rate is called the Price to Compare and is usually more expensive than other suppliers. You can compare the rates and plans offered by different energy suppliers with National Grid Long Island’s Price to Compare and select the best rate for you.
You can learn more about your service class, delivery rates, and supply rates here.
How to Pay Your Bill
There are three ways to pay your National Grid Long Island bill. You can change your payment method at any time.
- Online: You can pay your bill online using your credit/debit card or bank account via Western Union Speedpay. You can make your payments using this portal.
- Automated Payments: You can enroll in Automated Payments to set up recurring automatic payments each month. The National Grid bill amount will be transferred directly from your bank account.
- In-Person: You can pay your bill in person at any National Grid or authorized payment location. You can find a payment location near you here. Keep in mind that some of the payment locations may be temporarily closed due to the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).
- Pay by Mail: You can mail a payable check in the envelope provided with your bill.
- Pay by Phone: You can pay your bill on the phone if you have your 10-digit account number ready.
You can avoid additional fees by making a National Grid Long Island online account.
Does National Grid Long Island Have Payment Plan Options?
National Grid Long Island has several payment plan options for different customers. Here are five payment programs they currently offer.
- Budget Plan: You can set up a Budget Plan to pay the same monthly bill throughout the year. Your average bill depends on your historical energy usage, weather forecasts, and potential price changes. You can learn more here.
- Energy Savings Programs: You can apply for several Energy Savings Programs, such as the Home Energy Affordability Team (HEAT) program. You can learn more about it here.
- More Time to Pay: If you’re having trouble paying your bill on time, you can request two types of payment extensions. You can learn more about the Collection Arrangement and Payment Agreements here.
- Special Protections: You can avoid disconnection and late bill payment fees through the Medical Emergency Protection Program. You can learn more here.
- Grant Programs: You can apply for several grant programs if you’re unable to pay your National Grid bill. You can apply for the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), Project Warmth, and request for Emergency/Temporary Assistance. You can learn more about grant programs here.
You can learn more about payment plans and programs here.
How to Lower Your National Grid Long Island Bill
All National Grid Long Island customers are free to choose their energy supplier. You can compare the rates and plans offered by energy suppliers with National Grid Long Island’s Price to Compare and make an informed decision.
Alternatively, you can use Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection to check if you’re getting the best rate against the Price to Compare.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area with National Grid Long Island. When your term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case. Electricity payments can be complicated, that's why a lot of people trust Arbor to manage their electricity service, so they end up saving on their energy bills.
If you want to lower your bill more, you can opt for energy efficiency upgrades in your home. You can get rebates and other incentives for doing so. You can also hookup your home with clean energy upgrades and further save on your energy costs. You can learn more here.
National Grid Long Island Account Setup
To set up your National Grid Long Island account, you need to register on National Grid Long Island’s website.
Follow these steps to set up your new account.
- Go to this link to start your National Grid Long Island NY Gas online registration.
- Enter your 10-digit account number to continue.
- Start entering your details, including your full name, SSN (last four digits), email address, ZIP code, password, and security questions.
- After submitting the information, you will receive an email confirmation.
You can then log in using your email address here.
What to Do if There’s an Outage
If you have a gas emergency, you should immediately call National Grid Long Island or dial 911. You can demand response teams to your home if you feel that the threat is immediate.
You can learn more about gas emergencies and outages here.
National Grid Long Island Customer Service
National Grid Long Island has several customer support options.
- Use the Contact Us page to make general inquiries.
- You can email National Grid Long Island using this online form.
- If you’re having trouble with your energy supplier company (ESCo), you can go here.
- You can follow National Grid Long Island on Twitter and Facebook for additional support and the latest updates.
- You can sign up to receive text, phone, or email alerts.
It’s best to check out the FAQs before contacting a representative.
National Grid Long Island Phone Number and Contact Info
Here is some general contact information.
- National Grid Long Island’s Customer Service (and for Bill Payments) – 1-800-930-5003
- For Gas Emergencies – 1-800-490-0045
- Mailing Address for Payments – National Grid P.O. Box 11791 Newark, NJ 07101-4791
It’s best to call these numbers with your registered phone number. You can find the phone numbers for other services here.