MidAmerican Energy: Compare Rates and Prices Fast
MidAmerican Energy Company is a Des Moines, Iowa-based retail electricity provider (REP) that has provided electricity and natural gas services in several Midwest states including Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota. The company is one of the top electricity and natural gas suppliers in the United States. Here’s everything you need to know about MidAmerican Energy, along with their rates, energy plans, and pricing.
MidAmerican Energy Service Areas
Headquartered in Des Moines, MidAmerican Energy provides electric service in the service area of three utility companies:
- Commonwealth Electric Company of The Midwest: Their service areas include the Des Moines metropolitan area and parts of Central Iowa.
- Alliant Energy: Their service areas include Arlington, Buffalo Center, and Clearfield, Iowa.
- ITC Midwest: Their service area includes several Midwestern states and Iowa cities such as Des Moines and Grimes.
You can find all MidAmerican Energy plans for electric customers and natural gas customers in every covered state.
MidAmerican Energy Plans and Rates
MidAmerican Energy offers a wide range of electricity plans.
The following are two types of energy plans all MidAmerican Energy customers can choose from:
- Fixed-Rate Plans: Fixed-rate plans let you pay the same amount throughout your electric plan. The plan length can be for 6, 12, or 24-months. We recommend fixed-rate plans because they provide price certainty and minimize risk. But be careful: when your term expires, your rate becomes variable and can go up without notice. Arbor automatically keeps you on the best fixed-rate plan, so you don’t have to worry about rate hikes at the end of your term.
- Variable-Rate Plans: Such plans are dependent on the retail energy market prices and can vary daily or monthly. Variable-rate plans are not as stable as fixed-rate plans and can prove expensive in the long term.
Some plans may ask you for a deposit. However, plans available through Arbor never require a deposit.
MidAmerican Energy Energy Plan Information
While you can find most of the plan information on the energy company’s website, it’s best to read the plan’s Electricity Facts Label (EFL). It contains additional information on each plan, including the following:
- Price per kilowatt-hour (kWh) depending on energy usage
- Early termination fees
- Cancellation fees
- Percentage of renewable energy sourcing
You can switch to different energy plans without any hassle. Other charges on your electricity bill include your local TDSP or TDU charges. TDU (utility company) charges include the cost of delivering electricity, maintaining power lines, and handling power outages.
Why MidAmerican Energy for California Electricity
MidAmerican Energy offers various features and incentives, including the following:
- Lower costs than local competitors
- Renewable energy initiatives
- Flexible pricing plans
- Broad service area
- Extended maintenance and repair coverage
- Budget billing options
- Appliance repair facility
- Assistance programs and rebates
- Discounts via the SummerSaver program
You can make your MidAmerican Energy account to manage your plans online.
Find the Best Electricity Rates with Arbor
The Iowa energy market is massive and has several electricity providers. Choosing any single energy provider depends on what energy plans and rates are available.
All electric companies offer various energy plans with different rates, and it can be hard to choose any single plan. You can search and try to shop for rates yourself, but watch out for the fine print, hidden fees, and escalating rates once your term ends.
You can use Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection service to automatically find and switch to the best electricity rates in your area.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area. When your contract term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can also use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case.
MidAmerican Energy Reviews
You can view MidAmerican Energy's Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating (year-end report) to get a better idea of their services. The company generally garners excellent reviews from Iowa customers, as well as those in Sioux City, Waterloo, and the Quad Cities.
Generally, MidAmerican Energy is considered the best option for residential customers, as well as small businesses. The company is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Energy, and operates the MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company which gives it the highest service density per square mile of service territory. MidAmerican also offers additional services to improve energy efficiency by reducing supply wastage and gas leaks.
MidAmerican Energy Customer Service
There are several MidAmerican Energy customer service options.
- You can visit the Contact Us page for general queries.
- Email MidAmerican Energy on this email address.
- Call your local utility company to report power outages.
You can also contact the customer service hotline for information regarding supply during the Covid-19 pandemic. It’s best to go through the FAQs before contacting a representative.
MidAmerican Energy Phone Number and Contact Info
Here is some general contact information.
- MidAmerican Energy Customer Care – 888-427-5632
- For Energy Emergencies: 800-799-4443
- Mailing Address – P.O. Box 666 Grand Ave, STE 500, Des Moines, IA 50309-2506
It’s best to call these numbers with your registered phone number