Green Mountain Energy: Compare Rates and Prices Fast
The Green Mountain Energy Company is a renewable energy retailer that offers various electricity products, carbon offsets, and sustainable energy solutions to residential and business customers in the United States. Part of NRG Energy (along with Cirro and Reliant Energy) and headquartered in Austin, Texas, Green Mountain Energy provides reliable electricity plans that source electricity from wind and solar energy sources in Texas, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Massachusetts among other states.
Green Mountain Energy Service Areas
Green Mountain Energy provides clean energy services in eight states in the service area of several utility companies.
- Texas: You can find Green Mountain Energy plans in the service area of AEP Texas (AEP Texas Central and AEP Texas North), CenterPoint Energy (Houston metropolitan area), Oncor Electric Delivery, and Texas-New Mexico Power (TNMP, in the Dallas-Fort Worth area).
- Illinois: You can opt for Green Mountain Energy plans if you’re in the service area of ComEd (Commonwealth Edison).
- Massachusetts: Utility companies in Massachusetts include Eversource Energy (WMECo and NSTAR), National Grid Mass, and National Grid Nantucket.
- New York: New York utilities include ConEd NYC, ConEd Westchester, Central Hudson, National Grid, NYSEG, Orange and Rockland, and RGE.
- New Jersey: Utility companies in New Jersey include Rockland Electric, Atlantic City Electric, PSE&G, and Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L).
- Maryland: You can opt for GME plans in the service area of Delmarva Power, PEPCO MD, Potomac Edison, and Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE).
- Oregon: You can find Green Mountain Energy plans in the service territory of Portland General Electric.
- Pennsylvania: Pennsylvanian utilities include Med-Ed, Penelec, PECO, Penn Power, West Penn Power, PPL Electric Utilities, and Duquesne Light.
You can find all Green Mountain Energy plans in every utility company’s service area.
Green Mountain Energy Plans and Rates
Green Mountain Energy offers a wide range of electricity plans.
The following are four types of energy plans all Green Mountain Energy customers can choose from:
- Fixed-Rate Plans: Fixed-rate plans allow you to pay the same rate for electricity throughout the length of your term. We recommend fixed-rate plans because they provide price certainty and minimize risk. But be careful: when your term expires, your rate becomes variable and can go up without notice. Arbor automatically keeps you on the best fixed-rate plan, so you don’t have to worry about rate hikes at the end of your term.
- Variable-Rate Plans: Variable-rate plans let you pay the current market price for electricity at any given time. Therefore, when demand is low, you’ll be paying a low rate, but when demand is high, you might end up overpaying for electricity.
- Carbon Offsets: Since all Green Mountain Energy plans are renewable energy plans, they offer other ways to further reduce your carbon footprints. By buying carbon offsets, you inadvertently fund various sustainability projects aimed at reducing overall carbon dioxide output while focusing on green power.
- Other Plans and Solutions: Some plans offer free electricity on specific days or time, while others offer free energy-efficiency upgrades, such as smart thermostats. Some plans even let you choose whether you want solar power or wind energy.
Some plans may ask you for a deposit. However, plans available through Arbor never require a deposit.
Green Mountain Energy Plan Information
You should always read your energy plan’s fine print to understand every aspect of it. In Texas, you can read the plan’s Electricity Facts Label (EFL) that contains additional information on each plan, including the following:
- The price per kilowatt-hour (kWh) depending on your overall energy usage
- Cancellation fees.
- Early termination fees
- Percentage of renewable energy sourcing from solar panels, wind power, or other green energy sources
Switching energy providers is a straightforward process, and switching plans is even easier. Furthermore, you should keep in mind that your electricity bill also includes your delivery charges from your local utility company. The delivery charges (TDU Charge in Texas) consist of the cost of delivering electricity, managing power lines, and handling power outages.
Why Green Mountain Energy for Your Electricity
Green Mountain Energy offers various features and incentives, including the following:
- 100% of Green Mountain power is sourced from renewable energy sources
- Auto Pay option
- Same-day connection if you switch your electricity company
- No deposits
- Electricity usage tracking
- Usage and balance alerts
- You can join the Green Mountain Energy Sun Club and promote sustainability
- Various rewards and rebate programs
- Home services
- Fully-functioning mobile app
- One of the longest-serving green energy companies
- You can receive eco-tips and energy updates for free
You can make your Green Mountain Energy account to manage your plans online.
Find the Best Electricity Rates with Arbor
Energy deregulation allows customers to choose their electric company. Each electricity provider offers different plans and energy rates.
Some companies focus on offering low rates, while others offer competitive rates with benefits and incentives, making it hard to choose any single plan. You can search and try to shop for rates yourself, but watch out for the fine print, hidden fees, and escalating rates once your term ends.
You can use Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection service to automatically find and switch to the best electricity rates in your area.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area. When your contract term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can also use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case.
Green Mountain Energy Reviews
You can view Green Mountain Energy’s Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating to get a better idea of their energy services. The company has been BBB accredited since 2010 and has a rating of A+.
The average customer rating is 2/5, with most customer reviews and complaints focusing on billing and connection issues. On the other hand, most customers are happy with Green Mountain Energy rates, considering they’re relatively lower compared to green energy plans offered by other energy suppliers.
Green Mountain Energy Customer Service
There are several customer service options with Green Mountain Energy.
- You can visit the Contact Us page for general queries.
- Choose your state to learn more about customer service options.
- Fill out the online contact form to send an email to Green Mountain Energy.
- You can chat online with a live agent during weekdays.
- You can follow Green Mountain Energy on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites to receive news and updates.
- For power outages, contact your local utility company.
It’s best to go through the FAQs before contacting a representative.
Green Mountain Energy Phone Number and Contact Info
The contact numbers differ depending on where you live; you can choose your state in the Contact Us page to learn more about your state’s contact information. The following contact information is for Texas.
- Green Mountain Energy Customer Care – 1-866-785-4668
- To Sign Up – 1-866-301-3120
It’s best to call these numbers with your registered phone number.