General Payment Information for Central Maine Power Users
Central Maine Power (CMP) serves more than 636,000 electric utility customers in an 11,000 square-mile service area. According to the CEO, David Flanagan, the company has almost 25,000 miles of transmission lines and power lines. CMP provides electricity to most Mainers, including people in Augusta, Lewiston, Portland, and Kennebec, among others.
All CMP customers are free to choose who supplies their electricity. Central Maine Power is a utility company; they’re responsible for delivering the electricity and for maintaining power lines.
Therefore, the gov, Maine Public Utilities Commission (Maine PUC), regulates the rates offered by CMP. If you do not choose an electric supplier, you will receive the Standard Offer Service from Central Maine Power. You can learn more about Standard Offer Services here. If you want to check out the rates and pricing by Central Maine Power, you can go here.
You can use the Standard Offer Service rate as your Price to Compare. Compare it with the rates and plans offered by other electric suppliers and make an informed decision. You can learn more about choosing suppliers here.
Each supplier provides energy supply in a different way and plan; for example, some suppliers offer clean energy, albeit at a higher rate.
You can learn more about electric supply services here.
How to Pay Your Bill
There are five ways to pay your Central Maine Power bill. You can change your payment method at any time.
- Online: You can make bill payments online using your credit/debit card or your bank account. You can enroll in the eBill service to receive your bill online and immediately. You can also make a one-time online payment here.
- AutoPay: You can set up AutoPay to automate bill payments every month. You can automatically deduct the payment from your checking account every month to avoid any hassles.
- In-Person: You can pay your bill in person at authorized CheckFreePay location pay agents. You can view the pay agents here or use CMP’s pay agent locator. Keep in mind that some of the pay agents may be temporarily unavailable due to the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).
- Pay by Mail: You can mail a check or money order to pay your bill.
- Pay by Phone: You can pay your bill on the phone by either calling the automated service or a customer care representative.
You can also use Gift Cards through the Gift of Energy program to pay your bill. You can learn more here.
Does Central Maine Power Have Payment Plan Options?
Central Maine Power has several payment plan options for different customers. Here are three payment programs they currently offer.
- SimplePay Budget Plan: SimplePay allows you to pay the same amount on your monthly bill throughout the year. The average monthly bill depends on your past usage, potential prices, and weather forecasts. You can learn more about the SimplePay Budget Plan here.
- Payment Arrangements: If you’re facing disconnections because you’re unable to pay your bill, you can set up payment arrangements or plans. You will have to call customer support and present your case to be approved.
- Payment Assistance: You can opt for several low-income payment assistance programs. You can apply for the Electricity Lifeline Program (ELP), Arrears Management Program (AMP), and the Heating and Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) by local Community Action Program (CAP) Agencies. You can learn more about payment assistance programs here.
If you’re asked for proof of identification, go to this page and follow the instructions.
How to Lower Your Central Maine Power Bill
All Central Maine Power customers can choose among several electric suppliers. You can compare the rates and plans offered by each supplier with the Price to Compare and choose the best option for you.
To make your life easier, you can use Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection to check if you’re getting the best rate against the Price to Compare.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area with Central Maine Power. When your term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case. Electricity payments can be complicated, that's why a lot of people trust Arbor to manage their electricity service, so they end up saving on their energy bills.
To reduce your bill further, you can opt for things like Smart Meters and Net Energy Billing. You can also receive incentives for using energy-efficiency upgrades and electric vehicles, among other things. You can also use these energy-saving tips to make smaller changes to your bill.
Central Maine Power Account Setup
To set up your Central Maine Power account, you need to register on CMP’s website.
Follow these steps to set up your new account.
- Go to this link to start registering for your CMP account.
- Enter your CMP account number for your residential or business account.
- Put in your full name, email address, username, and set a password.
- Choose your security questions, and then click the submit button.
- You will receive a verification and confirmation email soon after.
You can log in using your username here.
What to Do if There’s a Power Outage
If you’re facing a power outage, you should immediately report it here. Enter your CMP account number or phone number, along with your ZIP code to report the outage. You can also check out this list of outages and their restoration statuses.
If you’re wondering what other areas are affected by power outages, you can check out the power outage map.
If you see downed power lines, streetlight outage, or any other problem, call CMP’s customer service number or 911.
Central Maine Power Customer Service
Central Maine Power has several customer support options.
- Use the Contact Us page to make general inquiries.
- You can sign up for outage and usage alerts. You can learn more here.
- You can send an email directly to Central Maine Power using this online form.
- You can follow Central Maine Power on Facebook and Twitter to stay updated.
- Surf through the FAQs to learn more about different services.
Check out the customer care FAQs before contacting a representative.
Central Maine Power Phone Number and Contact Info
Here is some general contact information.
- Central Maine Power’s Customer Service for Residential Customers – 1-800-750-4000
- For Commercial/Industrial Customers – 1-800-565-3181
- For Power Outages – 1-800-696-1000
- Bill Payment – 1-800-750-4000 (Press 2)
- Mailing Address – CMP, 83 Edison Drive, Augusta, ME 04336
- Mailing Address for Payments – CMP, P.O. Box 847810, Boston, MA 02284-7810
It’s best to call these numbers with your registered phone number.