Centerpoint Energy Bill Payment: Everything You Need to Know
CenterPoint Energy, Inc. (NYSE: CNP) is an electric and natural gas distribution company that serves in 7 million customers in Arkansas, Minnesota, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Texas. Currently, CenterPoint Energy headquarters are in the Houston area. Here’s how CenterPoint Energy’s payment system works, along with everything you need to know about their rates.
General Payment Information for CenterPoint Energy Users
According to the CEO, David J. Lesar, CenterPoint Energy names now include Vectren Energy. After the merger, the Indiana-based company’s headquarters became part of the Houston electric and energy services headquarters of CenterPoint Energy. However, Vectren Energy customers have to pay their bills separately.
In total, CenterPoint Energy now provides natural gas utility to over 4.5 million homes. Furthermore, they provide electric transmission and distribution services to 2.5 million customers. They also have power generation capabilities in the Indiana service area.
All CenterPoint Energy customers are free to choose their energy suppliers. CenterPoint Energy is primarily an energy delivery company, so it doesn’t necessarily have to supply the energy. Customers can choose from several energy suppliers and choose the one with the best rates and plans.
The Public Utility Commission in each state regulates the rates and tariffs offered by CenterPoint Energy. Their base supply rate is the Price to Compare, and you can use it to compare the plans and rates offered by other suppliers. You can learn more about CenterPoint Energy tariffs and rates here.
In Texas, customers have to purchase their electricity from a certified Retail Electric Provider (REP). If you don’t, the Texas Public Utilities Commission assigns a Provider of Last Resort (POLR). For CenterPoint Energy customers, the POLR is Reliant Energy, and their rates may be higher than other REPs. Therefore, it’s best to choose a REP/energy supplier that’s right for you.
Here’s a complete list of the energy suppliers and their rates.
Furthermore, if you want to learn more about your bill and how to read it, you can do so here.
How to Pay Your Bill
There are five ways to pay your CenterPoint Energy bill. You can change your payment method at any time.
- Online: You can pay your bill online using a checking/savings account or your debit/credit card.
- AutoPay: Your monthly bill will automatically be taken care of every month. The bill amount is transferred from your bank account to CenterPoint Energy with no input from the customer.
- In-Person: You can pay your bill in person at authorized payment locations; you can find a payment location near you here. Keep in mind that some of the payment locations may be temporarily unavailable due to the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).
- Pay by Mail: You can mail a check or money order to pay your bill.
- Pay by Phone: You can pay your bill on the phone using your bank account or credit/debit card.
You can learn more about bull payment methods here.
Does CenterPoint Energy Have Payment Plan Options?
CenterPoint Energy has several payment plan options for different customers. Here are four payment programs they currently offer.
- Average Monthly Billing: If you opt for Average Monthly Billing, you will have to pay the same bill amount throughout the year. The monthly bill depends on your historical use, weather forecasts, and potential price changes.
- Payment Extensions: You can get a Payment Extension under some circumstances to avoid late payment penalties and disconnection. You can request Payment Extensions here.
- Payment Arrangements: If you’re having trouble paying your bill, you can set up a Payment Arrangement where it’s easier for you to pay your bill. You can set up Payment Arrangements here.
- Payment Assistance: Payment Assistance programs are for low-income households that are having trouble paying their bill. CenterPoint Energy customers can either apply for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) or the Lend a Helping Hand program.
You can learn more about payment programs here.
How to Lower Your CenterPoint Energy Bill
All CenterPoint Energy customers can choose who supplies their energy. You can compare the rates offered by other energy suppliers with the Price to Compare and make an informed decision.
To make your life easier, you can use Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection to check if you’re getting the best rate against the Price to Compare.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area with CenterPoint Energy. When your term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case. Electricity payments can be complicated, that's why a lot of people trust Arbor to manage their electricity service, so they end up saving on their energy bills.
CenterPoint Energy Account Setup
To set up your CenterPoint Energy account, you need to register on CenterPoint Energy’s website.
Follow these steps to set up your new account.
- To start the registration process, go here. Alternatively, you can go to CenterPoint Energy’s website and select your state and region and go to the registration page.
- Enter your full name, email address, password, and security question.
- After you continue, you’ll have to enter your CenterPoint Energy account number and your house number.
- When your information is verified, your account will be set up, and you will receive a confirmation email.
You can log in using your User ID here.
What to Do if There’s a Power Outage
Whenever you’re facing a power outage or a problem with power lines, you should visit the electric outage center and report it.
You can also check out the outage tracker to see what areas being affected by outages. For example, if you choose the Houston area, you can check out the outage map here.
If you have a gas emergency, you should call 911 or CenterPoint Energy’s customer service number.
CenterPoint Energy Customer Service
CenterPoint Energy has several customer support options. However, keep in mind that the company has different contact options and numbers in different states and regions. You have to select your region and state to continue.
- Use this Contact Us page to quickly find the customer service numbers and mailing addresses for your state and region.
- You can sign up to receive free power outage alerts on your phone or email.
- You can follow CenterPoint Energy on Facebook and Twitter for additional customer service and news.
It’s best to go through the FAQs before contacting a representative.
CenterPoint Energy Phone Number and Contact Info
The customer service, outage, gas emergency, and bill payment number is different for each state and region. Furthermore, the mailing address for general correspondence and payments is also different for each region.
You can select your state and region and go to the Contact Us page for the contact information. Alternatively, you can go to this page to find your region’s contact information quickly.