Ameren Illinois Bill Payment: Everything You Need to Know
The Ameren Corporation was set up by the merger of the Union Electric Company and Central Illinois Public Service Company. It is now the holding company for several power and energy companies and is traded on the NYSE. It has over 2.4 million electric and over 900,000 natural gas customers across 64,000 square miles of central and eastern Missouri and Southern Illinois.
About Ameren Illinois
Ameren Illinois and Ameren Missouri are the two leading holding companies for the Ameren Corporation.
Ameren Illinois provides energy distribution services. Customers are free to choose their electric supplier, and non-residential customers can even choose their gas supplier.
Ameren Illinois’ service territory spans a total of 43,700 square miles. They have over 4,500 miles of electric transmission lines, 46,000 miles of distribution lines, and 18,200 miles of natural gas transmission lines. Ameren Illinois customers can be found in Peoria, Springfield, St. Louis, and over four-fifths of Southern Illinois.
Here’s how Ameren Illinois’ payment arrangements work along with everything you need to know about their electric rates.
General Payment Information for Ameren Illinois Users
While Ameren Illinois delivers the energy, customers are free to choose their electric suppliers. Each supplier provides different electric rates, and you can select the rate that best suits you.
According to the Illinois Commerce Commission, the utility charges can be broken down into a ‘Price to Compare.’ The Price to Compare includes electric supply charges and the transmission service charge. Combining them gives you the current Price to Compare for Ameren Illinois. You can compare that price with the rates of other electric suppliers and choose an electric supply company accordingly.
If you want to learn more about residential electric and natural gas rates, you can go here. For business customers, you can learn more about electric and gas rates here.
How to Pay Your Bill
There are seven ways to pay your Ameren Illinois bill. You can change your payment method at any time.
- Online: You can log in to your Ameren Illinois account and make an online payment, or you can pay online using your bank’s service.
- AutoPay: If you set up auto-pay, your Ameren Illinois payment will automatically be withdrawn from your bank account or credit/debit card each month.
- Guest Pay: If you don’t have an account yet or can’t log in, you can pay your bill using guest pay.
- In-Person: You can pay your bill in-person at registered locations, you can find the pay stations here. Keep in mind that some pay stations may be temporarily unavailable due to the coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Pay by Mail: You can send a check or money order by mail.
- By Phone: You can also pay your bill by calling the bill payment number.
- EDI: For business customers, Electronic Data Interchange is a bill presentation and electronic payment option.
If you require any payment or energy assistance, you can always call Ameren Illinois’ customer service number.
Does Ameren Illinois Have Payment Plan Options?
Ameren Illinois has several payment plan options. Here are some assistance programs active right now.
- Warm Neighbors Cool Friends: The program is designed to help low and moderate-income customers. You can find out more about the program here.
- Agency Finder: By entering your ZIP code here, you can find energy assistance agencies in your area.
- LIHEAP: The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program helps low-income households pay for energy services. You can learn more about it here.
- Military Support: Ameren Illinois provides several payment programs for veterans and active duty members of the military. You can find out more and apply here.
- Gift of Energy: With this program, you can purchase a Gift of Energy for someone else. It will help pay that energy consumer’s Ameren Illinois bill. You can learn more about it here.
- Non-Residential Assistance: This program is for small business owners and non-profit organizations. It provides one-time assistance with the bill or any hardship. You can view the application here.
- Payment Agreements: If you’re having trouble paying your Ameren Illinois bill, you can make a payment arrangement to avoid disconnection of services. You can learn more about it here.
- Ameren Illinois Savings: This website is dedicated to helping Ameren Illinois customers become smarter and safe energy consumers. You can get rebates on installing energy-saving measures (such as smart thermostats) in your house. You can check out the Ameren Illinois Marketplace (part of the Energy Efficiency Program) here.
You can learn more about payment programs here. Furthermore, beware of any scams and always refer to a payment program through the Ameren Illinois website (www.amerenillinois.com).
How to Lower Your Ameren Illinois Power Bill
Both residential and business customers can choose who supplies their electricity. You can check the rate zones for Ameren Illinois here.
Arbor’s TrueRate Protection is the easiest way to check if you’re getting the best rate against the Price to Compare.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area with Ameren Illinois.
You can use the calculator to find out how much you’ll be saving with each supplier and then make an informed decision.
Ameren Illinois Account Setup
To set up your Ameren Illinois account, you need to register on Ameren’s website (www.ameren.com).
Follow these steps to set up your new account.
- Go to the website and click on the ‘Register’ button.
- Choose what type of customer you are; the options are residential, business, property manager, and customer business partner.
- After that, enter your personal details, email, and a password.
- Depending on your account type, you will have to enter your account number, SSN, ZIP code, and payment details.
- You will then receive a confirmation email after your account information has been verified.
- You’ll get your login details after your account has been confirmed.
Once you’re done, you can log in using your user ID and password here.
What to Do if There’s a Power Outage
Whenever there a power outage or gas leak, you should immediately report it to the energy company. You can start your report here. You should also sign-up for alerts here, just in case.
If you’re wondering what areas are affected by power outages, you can check out the power outage map. You can also check for outages by location (by entering a house number) here.
For additional news on such issues, you can check out Ameren Illinois’ news releases.
Ameren Illinois Customer Service
Ameren Illinois has several customer service options.
- Use the Contact Us page to make general inquiries
- Use the Chat feature to chat with customer care
- Email Ameren Illinois with specific questions and issues
You can visit the Ameren Illinois customer service center for more information.
Ameren Illinois Phone Number and Contact Info
Here is the general contact information.
- Ameren Illinois Residential – 800-755-5000
- For Businesses – 800-232-2477
- Website Support – 877-263-7361
- Bill Payment – 888-777-3108
- Mailing Address for Correspondence – Ameren Illinois, 300 Liberty, Peoria, IL 61602
- Mailing Address for Payments – Ameren Illinois, PO Box 88034, Chicago, IL 60680-1034
It’s best to call these numbers with your registered phone number.